Saturday, July 01, 2006

Today's game

Reading a revived Quico it seems that there is another game today besides the France Brazil. Well, I will take his word for it.

The only game to day for me is France Brazil. The fact that I liked England and Portugal equally is perturbing my eventual interest in that game, even more when my beloved "Bleus" are to take the field now that my "futbol" favorite Argentina is out. The mind of a futbol fan is a hard thing to fathom....

Still, since Quico is ignoring the French I must at least write a short preview.

The first thing that one must realize is that France is not afraid of Brazil. In fact, France is the team that is probably the least afraid of Brazil, and Brazil knows it. Digging deep into the Guardian pages one can find articles about France. There is a good appreciation of France "regaining" its freedom. The Spain France game has reminded people that besides physicality there is also experience and mysticism involved in futbol. The French have suddenly got their shit back together, amazingly well enough to make the Brazilians slightly wary. You know that when Parreira admits that his team needs "to step up a level" if they want to beat France, it is not idle talk. Brazil remembers very well the 3-0 at the Stade de France in 1998 or a certain distant game in Guadalajara in 1986 where even according to the French, Brazil dominated but lost on penalty kicks, a la Che!

It remains that the French are a miraculously revived team and that Brazil will need to do more than bring the ball to Ronaldo feet. It might turn out to be like Argentina-Germany, the real final game of the World Cup, for its quality, drama and fun. Let's hope for a real treat, even if I think that Brazil will carry the day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Francisco said...

I'm still dabbing at my eyes over England...still, even in my discombobulation, I can tell you that the 1998 game was at the Stade de France, not the Parc des Princes!

FUCKING ELIZONDO...guy should be tried...then shot...

2:16 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Right.... sorry, the tension..... but writing while I am having my morning tea is not my best time. You also have to remember that I was raised with the "parc des princes" as french main since the flandres. the Stade de France came too late to change this now reflex. sorry....

2:22 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

i did the correction. good thing that one of the hands of this blog is a futbol freak :)

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home